It just came to my attention that the March 3rd Economist “Face Value” column had a full-page article on Count Anton Wolfgang von Faber-Castell and the Faber-Castell business. It’s a good read for anyone interested in the pencil business.
A few quick facts:
* F-C annual revenue is $US530M
* The Count owns 88% of the firm
* production is 2 billion pencils/year
* the debt to equity ratio is 50%
* there are sixteen manufacturing plants
* the expected growth market is in drawing as a hobby
On a personal note, happy Easter to those who are celebrating the holiday.